Chimney Cricket Chimney Sweeps has provided expert chimney repointing services in Pittsburgh and its surrounding areas for over 40 years. Our experts possess the knowledge, experience, and craftsmanship to skillfully restore your fireplace with top-quality materials to prevent costly damage to your home. We specialize in chimney pointing, mortar repair, and other interior and exterior masonry repairs to help your chimney look its best all year round. With our chimney repointing services, you can count on us for a chimney that looks great and functions properly for years to come.
Contact us today for more information about our professional chimney repointing services!
What is Chimney Repointing?
Chimney repointing is a process that involves removing the old, deteriorating mortar from between the bricks of a chimney and replacing it with new mortar. This is necessary when the mortar begins to crumble or decay due to age, weather, or other environmental factors. Over time, the mortar can weaken and crack, allowing water to seep into the chimney structure, which can lead to damage to the chimney and even the interior of your home.
During the repointing process, the old mortar is carefully chiseled out, leaving clean, open joints between the bricks. The new mortar is then applied to the joints, filling in the gaps and providing a strong bond between the bricks. The new mortar material used for repointing is typically a mix of sand, cement, and water. It is carefully selected to match the color and texture of the existing mortar to maintain the aesthetic appearance of the chimney.
Repointing your chimney not only helps to restore its structural integrity, but it also helps to prevent moisture from seeping through the exposed mortar joints, where it can cause extensive damage to interior components. Moisture can lead to the growth of mold and mildew, weaken the chimney structure, and cause damage to ceilings, walls, and other nearby structures.
How to Tell if Your Chimney Needs Repointing
There are several signs that indicate your chimney may need repointing. Here are a few things to look out for:
- Visible cracks in the mortar: If you notice cracks between the bricks of your chimney, this is a clear indication that the mortar is deteriorating and needs to be replaced.
- Loose bricks: If you notice that some bricks on your chimney are loose or falling out, this could be a sign that the mortar holding them in place has deteriorated, and repointing may be necessary to keep the bricks secure.
- Water damage: If you notice water stains or damage on the ceiling or walls near your chimney, this could be a sign that water is penetrating the chimney structure. This can happen if the mortar has deteriorated and is no longer sealing the gaps between the bricks.
- Crumbling mortar: If you can easily scrape or chip away mortar from between the bricks using a screwdriver or other tool, this is a sign that the mortar has weakened and needs to be replaced.
- Age: Over time, all masonry structures, including chimneys, will deteriorate due to age and exposure to the elements. If your chimney is more than 20-30 years old and has never been repointed, it's highly likely that you need a repointing.
If you notice any of these signs, it's a good idea to give us a call for an appointment to determine if repointing is necessary. Repointing your chimney can help to prolong its life, prevent costly damage, and keep your home safe and secure.